A grotesque scene  

A  grotesque  scene

"Goofy" might be a better descriptor, but these seabird statues lining an outer wall of an Ecuadorian cathedral are called "grotesques"—the architectural term for a statue ornamenting the side of a building. But hang on…don"t we call those "gargoyles"? Not exactly. Gargoyles are simply grotesques that boast a specific, practical feature: spouts that convey water from rain gutters away from the building.

© Henri Leduc/Getty Images

fShare Share pSave tPost

More Desktop Wallpapers: